Two unrelated accidents involving three vehicles on Monday claimed the lives of 23 persons, Ibrahim Zaki, the Sector Commandant of the FRSC, said.
Speaking in Gusau, Zaki said that although the two accidents occurred at different spots on the Gusau-Sokoto road, they took place around the same time.
He said that one of the accidents involving a Volkswagen Golf car and a bus, both commercial vehicles, occurred at Danfako village, few kilometres to Mafara on the road.
Zaki said that the driver of the bus lost control of the vehicle and rammed into the oncoming Volkswagen Golf car, leading to the death of 17 persons, while other passengers sustained various degrees of injuries.
He said that the dead and injured passengers had been ferried to Mafara General Hospital by some FRSC officials and policemen.
Zaki said that the other accident, which occurred near Kwanan Kalgo village, was caused by another bus which ran into the villagers and killed six of them on the spot.
He said that the relatives of the deceased had already claimed the bodies and taken them to the village for burial.
Zaki blamed the two accidents on reckless driving which, he said, had become very common on the Gusau-Sokoto road ``where commercial drivers drive their vehicles as if they are competing with one another’’.
Governor Abdulaziz Yari, who was at the scene of the accident which occurred in Danfako village, also assisted in evacuating the victims to the hospital before proceeding to Gusau.
When the governor arrived in Gusau, he summoned the FRSC Commandant in Zamfara and directed him to henceforth apprehend and prosecute drivers of overloaded vehicles.